Looking for Mother’s day quotes? It’s hard to imagine anyone else but Mom who would go to such great lengths to care for you, clean up after you, and be there for you in moments of panic, all while still seeing the best in you. While Dads are pretty awesome too, it’s Mom’s unwavering love and devotion that make her so special.
Ironically, her all-around awesomeness can make it challenging to come up with just the right words for a Mother’s Day card. Whether your mother is biological or chosen, she deserves to hear how much you love and appreciate her at least once a year. This is also an excellent time to express your gratitude and affection for grandmothers, aunts, and new mom friends in your life.
While the maternal figures in your life will undoubtedly appreciate the Mother’s Day gift you’ve selected for them, a thoughtful message to accompany it is priceless. Even if all you can manage to jot down is “I love you,” she will be grateful for the sentiment. However, you don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to score some extra brownie points, do you?
Remind your Mom that you’ve noticed everything she’s done for you, and that the lessons she’s taught you will stay with you forever. Promise to love her as much as she’s loved you, and you’ll make her feel special on this important day.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed and can’t find the right words, don’t worry! We’ve got you covered with our list of the 130 best Mother’s Day quotes of all time. Pick one that speaks to you and include it in your card. You’ll be amazed at how quickly the words start to flow once you get started. When your Mom reads your heartfelt message, she’ll be touched and grateful for the thoughtfulness you’ve put into it.
When is Mother’s day?
Mother’s Day 2023 falls on Sunday, May 14th in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, and many other countries. Meanwhile, in the United Kingdom, “Mothering Sunday” is celebrated on the fourth Sunday of Lent, which falls on March 19th in 2023.
What do you say on Mother’s day?
Wondering what to say to your mom on Mother’s Day? Take the opportunity to express your gratitude for all that she has done for you over the years. Consider thanking her for her unwavering love, acknowledging the sacrifices she has made in raising you, and wishing her a happy and special day.
Short Mother’s day quotes
1. Mothers are like glue. Even when you can’t see them, they’re still holding the family together. ~ Susan Gale
2. Motherhood: All love begins and ends there. ~ Robert Browning
3. The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation. ~ James Faust
4. Mother: the most beautiful word on the lips of mankind. ~ Kahil Gibran
5. Life doesn’t come with a manual. It comes with a mother. ~ Author Unknown
6. Mothers are like buttons. They hold everything together. ~ Author Unknown
7. There’s a reason some people think they can achieve anything. They listened to their mother. ~ Author Unknown
8. An ounce of mother is worth a ton of priest. ~ Spanish Proverb
9. God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers. ~ Jewish Proverb
10. A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them. ~ Victor Hugo
11. The most precious jewels you’ll ever have around your neck are the arms of your children. ~ Author Unknown
12. Life began with waking up and loving my mother’s face. ~ George Eliot
13. To the world you are a mother, but to your family you are the world. ~ Author Unknown
14. Everything I am, you helped me to be. ~ Author Unknown
15. The art of mothering is to teach the art of living to children. ~ Elaine Heffner
16. To a child’s ear, “mother” is magic in any language. ~ Arlene Benedict
17. A mother’s hug lasts long after she lets go. ~ Unknown
18. A family raised well by a mother is one of the great wonders of the world. ~ Unknown
Funny Mother’s Day Quotes
Motherhood is no easy feat, and sometimes laughter is the best medicine! Take a break from the chaos and check out our collection of funny Mother’s Day quotes and sayings that perfectly capture the joys and challenges of being a mom. From the sacrifices that mothers make to the transformational power of motherhood, these quotes are sure to bring a smile to any mom’s face.
Incorporate them into a witty text message or add them as a note to a thoughtful gift. A simple “thanks for being an awesome mom” can go a long way in showing your appreciation. Don’t forget to take a moment to celebrate all the hard work and love that goes into being a mom!
19. If at first you don’t succeed, try doing it the way mom told you in the beginning. ~ Author Unknown
20. Why don’t kids understand that their nap is not for them but for us? ~ Alyson Hannigan
21. Ah, babies! They’re more than just adorable little creatures on whom you can blame your farts. ~ Tina Fey
22. When my kids become wild and unruly, I use a nice, safe playpen. When they’re finished, I climb out. ~ Erma Bombeck
23. Silence is golden. Unless you have kids, then silence is just suspicious. ~ Author Unknown.
24. I’ve conquered a lot of things. Blood clots in my lungs – twice. Knee and foot surgeries. Winning grand slams being down match point, to name just a few, but I found out by far the hardest is figuring out a stroller! ~ Serena Williams
25. I always say if you aren’t yelling at your kids, you’re not spending enough time with them. ~ Reese Witherspoon
26. The most expensive part of having kids is all the wine you have to drink. ~ Unknown
27. Motherhood is basically finding activities for children in three-hour pockets of time for the rest of your life. ~ Mindy Kaling
28. Sweater, n.: garment worn by a child when its mother is feeling chilly. ~ Ambrose Bierce
29. If your kids are giving you a headache, follow the directions on the aspirin bottle, especially the part that says “keep away from children”. ~ Susan Savannah
30. I love to play hide and seek with my kid, but some days my goal is to find a hiding place where he can’t find me until after high school. ~ Author Unknown
31. Children are a great comfort in your old age – and they help you reach it faster, too. ~ Lionel
32. I want my children to have all the things I couldn’t afford. Then I want to move in with them. ~ Phyllis Diller
33. Raising kids is a walk in the park. Jurassic Park. ~ Author Unknown
34. I’d like to be the ideal mother, but I’m too busy raising my kids. ~ Author Unknown
35. A suburban mother’s role is to deliver children obstetrically once, and by car forever after. ~ Peter De Vries
36. Working mothers are guinea pigs in a scientific experiment to show that sleep is not necessary to human life. ~ Author Unknown
37. Nothing is really lost until your mom can’t find it. ~ Author Unknown.
38. Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children! ~ Sam Levenson
39. Motherhood: Feeding them as a baby and then through most of their twenties. ~ Author Unknown
40. If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands? ~ Milton Berle
41. You know you’re a mom when you go to the store for yourself and come out with a bag of things for your kids. ~ Author Unknown
42. Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners. ~ Author Unknown
43. My mother’s menu consisted of two choices: Take it or leave it. ~ Buddy Hackett
44. Setting a good example for your children takes all the fun out of middle age. ~ William Feather
45. Mothers of teens know why some animals eat their young. ~ Author Unknown
46. Humans are the only animals that have children on purpose with the exception of guppies, who like to eat theirs. ~ P.J. O’Rourke
47. Mother Nature, in her infinite wisdom, has instilled within each of us a powerful biological instinct to reproduce; this is her way of assuring that the human race, come what may, will never have any disposable income. ~ Dave Barry
48. The one thing children wear out faster than shoes is parents. ~ John J. Plomp
49. Mirror, mirror, on the wall, I am my mother after all! ~ Author Unknown
50. The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found. ~ Calvin Trillin
51. Usually, the triumph of my day is, you know, everybody making it to the potty. ~ Julia Roberts
52. Ma-ma does everything for the baby, who responds by saying Da-da first. ~ Mignon McLaughlin
53. Parenthood is the passing of a baton, followed by a lifelong disagreement as to who dropped it. ~ Robert Brault
54. It’s a funny thing about mothers and fathers. Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful. ~ Roald Dahl
55. It is never easy being a mother. If it were easy, fathers would do it. ~ Author Unknown
Mother’s Day quotes from Daughter
The bond between a mother and daughter is truly special, and these Mother’s Day quotes beautifully capture the depth and meaning of that connection. From the cherished memories of childhood to the unbreakable friendship that develops over time, these quotes are the perfect way to honor and celebrate the incredible women in our lives.
Looking for even more inspiration for your Mother’s Day message? Follow up one of these beautiful mother-daughter quotations with a personal story that reflects the unique and special relationship you share with your mom. Whether it’s a childhood memory or a recent experience that brought you closer together, sharing your own words of love and appreciation will make this Mother’s Day unforgettable.
56. The older I grow, the more I realize that my mother is the best “best friend” that I ever had. ~ Author Unknown
57. As mothers and daughters, we are connected with one another. My mother is the bones of my spine, keeping me straight and true. She is my blood, making sure it runs rich and strong. She is the beating of my heart. I cannot now imagine a life without her. ~ Kristin Hannah
58. We laugh, we cry, we make time fly… We are best friends, my mom and I. ~ Author Unknown
59. She raised us with humor, and she raised us to understand that not everything was going to be great – but how to laugh through it. ~ Liza Minnelli
60. Teach your daughter to worry less about fitting into the glass slippers and more about shattering the glass ceilings. ~ Author Unknown
61. A mother is a daughter’s first best friend. ~ Author Unknown
62. Over the years, I learned so much from mom. She taught me about the importance of home and history and family and tradition. ~ Martha Stewart
63. A daughter is just a little girl who grows up to be a friend. ~ Author Unknown
64. My mom is a hard worker. She puts her head down and she gets it done. And she finds a way to have fun. She always says, “Happiness is your own responsibility.” ~ Jennifer Garner
65. By the time a woman realizes her mother was right, she has a daughter who thinks she’s wrong. ~ Author Unknown
66. A daughter is someone you laugh with, dream with, and love with all your heart. ~ Author Unknown
67. When your mother asks, “Do you want a piece of advice?” it’s a mere formality. It doesn’t matter if you answer yes or no. You’re going to get it anyway. ~ Erma Bombeck
68. Lucky is the Woman whose first child is a daughter. ~ Prophet Mohammed
69. As my mom always said, “You’d rather have smile lines than frown lines.” ~ Cindy Crawford
70. First my mother, forever my friend. ~ Unknown
Mother’s day quotes from sons
Celebrate the wonderful bond between a mother and her son with our selection of both inspirational and funny Mother’s Day quotes. These heartfelt words perfectly capture the love and appreciation sons feel for their moms, and are sure to bring a smile to her face.
71. Moms are as relentless as the tides. They don’t just drive us to practice, they drive us to greatness. ~ Steve Rushin
72. My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind. ~ Michael Jordan
73. A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~ Irish Proverb
74. My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it. ~ Mark Twain
75. He didn’t realize that love as powerful as your mother’s for you leaves its own mark. ~ J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
76. There is an endearing tenderness in the love of a mother to a son that transcends all other affections of the heart. ~ Washington Irving
77. Sons are the anchors of a mother’s life. ~ Sophocles
78. A man never sees all that his mother has been to him until it’s too late to let her know that he sees it. ~ W. D. Howells
79. Men are what their mothers made them. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
80. There has never been, nor will there ever be, anything quite so special as the love between a mother and a son. ~ Author Unknown
81. All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his. ~ Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
82. My mother told me a million times not to exaggerate. ~ Author Unknown
83. A mom is a son’s first love. ~ Author Unknown
84. I have a hero, I call her Mom! ~ Author Unknown
85. Mother – that was the bank where we deposited all our hurts and worries. ~ T. Dewitt Talmage
Mother’s Day Quotes about Mom’s Love
The love between a mother and her child is one of the most powerful and inspiring bonds in the world. These famous Mother’s Day quotes and sayings beautifully capture the essence of this special relationship, reminding us of the deep care and unconditional love that only a mother can provide.
86. Your arms were always open when I needed a hug. Your heart understood when I needed a friend. Your gentle eyes were stern when I needed a lesson. Your strength and love has guided me and gave me wings to fly. ~ Sarah Malin
87. Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love. ~ Mother Teresa
88. Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible. ~ Marion C. Garretty
89. A Mother’s heart, a Mother’s faith, and a Mother’s steadfast love were fashioned by the Angels and sent from God above. ~ Author Unknown
90. Acceptance, tolerance, bravery, compassion. These are the things my mom taught me. ~ Lady Gaga
91. If you have a mom, there is nowhere you are likely to go where a prayer has not already been. ~ Robert Brault
92. No language can express the power and beauty and heroism of a mother’s love. ~ Edwin Chapin
93. I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life. ~ Abraham Lincoln
94. Mother’s love is bliss, is peace, it need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. If it is there, it is like a blessing; if it is not there, it is as if all the beauty had gone out of life. ~ Erich Fromm
95. Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever. ~ Author Unknown
96. When you are a mother you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always thinks twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~ Sophia Loren
97. I got to grow up with a mother who taught me to believe in me. ~ Antonio Villaraigosa
98. There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood. ~ Elder M. Russell Ballard
99. A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s. ~ Princess Diana
100. There’s no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
101. A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden fall upon us; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still she will cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts. ~ Washington Irving
102. Mama was my greatest teacher, a teacher of compassion, love and fearlessness. If love is sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love. ~ Stevie Wonder
103. I loved you before I knew you ~ Author Unknown
104. I am closest to my mother, as she is my rock, my pillar of strength, and my world. Not only has she stood by me through all times – happy, sad, and otherwise – but there have even been moments when I had completely lost hope, and her immense belief in me had lifted me up. ~ Amruta Khanvilkar
105. Most mothers are instinctive philosophers. ~ Harriet Beecher Stowe
106. The natural state of motherhood is unselfishness. When you become a mother, you are no longer the center of your own universe. You relinquish that position to your children. ~ Jessica Lange
107. I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all. ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder
Bible Verses about Mothers
Share love and gratitude with your mom through these beautiful Bible verses that speak to the heart of motherhood. From verses about parenting and family life to proverbs that provide encouragement and support for moms, you’ll find the perfect religious or Christian Mother’s Day quote here.
Explore these inspiring Bible verses that highlight the important role of mothers and the unconditional love they provide. Whether you choose to share them in a card, read them together during a special Mother’s Day gathering, or simply reflect on them in your own personal time of devotion, these verses are a powerful way to express your appreciation and honor for the incredible mother in your life.
So take a moment to meditate on these beautiful Bible verses about mothers and let them inspire you to celebrate the love, strength, and beauty of motherhood on this special day.
108. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” Proverbs 31:26-29
109. A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. John 16:21
110. Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. They are a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck. Proverbs 1:8-9
111. My son, keep your father’s command and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.
112. Bind them always on your heart; fasten them around your neck. When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. Proverbs 6:20-22
113. Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother” – which is the first commandment with a promise – “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” Ephesians 6:1-3
114. Children’s children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children. Proverbs 17:6
115. Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6
116. I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy. Philippians 1:3-4
117. I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. 1 Corinthians 1:4
118. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8
119. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
120. For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Isaiah 41:13
121. Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28
122. but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31
Strong and Amazing mother’s quotes
Looking to send a Mother’s Day wish that truly honors the strength and resilience of your mom? These “strong mother” quotes are the perfect way to acknowledge the sacrifices and hard work that mothers put in every day, and to show your appreciation for their unwavering love and support.
These quotes celebrate the courage, determination, and sheer willpower that makes mothers so inspirational, and serve as a reminder of the incredible impact they have on our lives. Whether you’re looking to express your gratitude for the way your mom raised you, or to simply let her know how much she inspires you, these quotes are sure to make her feel loved and appreciated on this special day.
123. Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them. ~ Author Unknown
124. That’s the wonderful thing about mothers: you can because you must, and you just do. ~ Kate Winslet
125. A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary. ~ Dorothy Canfield Fisher
126. I am a strong woman because a strong woman raised me.
127. Successful mothers are not the ones who have never struggled. They are the ones who never give up, despite their struggles. ~ Sharon Jaynes
128. Being a mother is learning about strengths you didn’t know you had, and dealing with fears you didn’t know existed. ~ Linda Wooten
129. I know how to do anything – I’m a mom. ~ Roseanne Barr
130. Motherhood is a choice you make everyday to put someone else’s happiness and well-being ahead of your own, to teach the hard lessons, to do the right thing even when you’re not sure what the right thing is… and to forgive yourself over and over again for doing everything wrong. ~ Donna Bell
131. I am sure that if the mothers of various nations could meet, there would be no more wars. ~ E. M. Forster
132. You know you’re a mom when you understand why mama bear’s porridge was cold. ~ Author Unknown
133. Motherhood is the exquisite inconvenience of being another person’s everything. ~ Author Unknown
134. It takes someone really brave to be a mother, someone strong to raise a child, and someone special to love someone more than herself. ~ Author Unknown
135. The phrase “working mother” is redundant. ~ Jane Sellman
136. Her damaged petals are what made her more beautiful than all of the other flowers. ~ A. J. Lawless
137. I think every working mom probably feels the same thing: You go through big chunks of time when you’re just thinking, “This is impossible – oh, this is impossible.” And then you just keep going and keep going, and you sort of do the impossible. ~ Tina Fey
138. She made me strong, but she wanted me to be strong. That’s more important. ~ Diane von Furstenberg
139. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter thank you think. ~ A. A. Milne
140. To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colors of a rainbow. ~ Maya Angelou
Mother’s Day Quotes for Grandma
Looking to send your sweet grandma a heartfelt Mother’s Day wish? Look no further than these beautiful quotes specifically chosen to celebrate the unique and special bond between a grandchild and their Granny.
These quotes capture the warmth and love that grandmothers bring to our lives and highlight the cherished memories and moments that we share together. From the silly and playful to the wise and profound, these quotes are sure to bring a smile to your grandma’s face and warm her heart.
141. Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children. ~ Alex Haley
142. A grandmother is a little bit parent, a little bit teacher, and a little bit best friend. ~ Author Unknown
143. A Grandma is warm hugs and sweet memories. She remembers all of your accomplishments and forgets all of your mistakes. ~ Barbara Cage
144. There is no place like home – except Grandma’s. ~ Author Unknown
145. Grandma always made you feel she had been waiting to see just you all day and now the day was complete. ~ Marcy DeMaree
146. Grandmother and grandchild never truly part, maybe in distance but never in heart. ~ Author Unknown
147. I look back on my childhood and thank the stars above. For everything you gave me, but mostly for your love. ~ Wayne F. Winters
148. Grandmother-grandchild relationships are simple. Grandmas are short on criticism and long on love. ~ Author Unknown
149. Being a mother and grandmother is the best of the best in my life. My grandchildren multiply the joy my daughters bring me. ~ Alexandra Stoddard
150. Grandma, thank you for being my anchor in this stormy sea of life. ~ Author Unknown
Happy Mother’s Day FAQ
When is Mother’s Day celebrated?
Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May every year.
Why do we celebrate Mother’s Day?
Mother’s Day is celebrated to honor and appreciate mothers and mother figures for their love, care, and hard work in raising children and families.
What are some popular ways to celebrate Mother’s Day?
Some popular ways to celebrate Mother’s Day include giving gifts, preparing special meals, sending greeting cards, and spending quality time with mothers or mother figures.
What are some gift ideas for Mother’s Day?
Some gift ideas for Mother’s Day include flowers, chocolates, jewelry, personalized items, spa treatments, and gift certificates for her favorite store or activity.
Can I celebrate Mother’s Day if my mother is no longer alive?
Yes, you can still celebrate Mother’s Day by remembering and honoring your mother’s memory through activities such as lighting a candle, making her favorite meal, or visiting her favorite place.
In conclusion, Mother’s Day quotes offer a meaningful way to express love, gratitude, and appreciation for the special women in our lives. Whether it’s a heartfelt message or a funny quip, these quotes capture the essence of the loving and nurturing relationship between a mother and child.
So, whether you choose to share them in a card, gift, or simply in conversation, let these quotes serve as a reminder of the incredible impact that mothers have on our lives and the gratitude we owe them on this special day.